Alexa is a great way to personalize your smart home by utilizing the smart assistant to create unique skills in the app. It seems that it can really do it all, but can Alexa control Apple TV?
Using the voice assistant to link multiple brands is a terrific way to control and communicate with your gadgets. That is one must-have of an exemplary device like Alexa, the ability to communicate with other devices.
Is Alexa capable of controlling Apple TV?
Alexa does not have a direct connection with the Apple TV. Still, suppose you have smart speakers connected to your TV. In that case, you can use fundamental functionality like play/pause and volume control.
You’ll need a third device, such as the Harmony Hub Remote, to link to Alexa and provide orders to your Apple TV for additional capabilities. In addition, Alexa can control Hisense TVs too!
Continue reading to discover how to connect other devices to your Alexa and Apple TV to access more capabilities and fix some of the difficulties that may arise.
Harmony Remote Connection
Linking your Alexa to the Harmony Hub Remote will let you have greater control over your TV and enjoy additional capabilities with your smart devices and Apple TV.
The Hub-based remote and the IR remote are the two types of remotes available to establish a connection to link Alexa and your Apple TV.
Using an infrared (IR) remote
To connect an IR remote to an Apple TV, follow the steps below:
- Get the desktop MyHarmony program and sign in to connect your IR remote.
- Select your device from the Remote Gallery screen.
- Select “Add device” from the “Devices” menu on the left side of the screen.
- In the “Manufacturer” text box, type Apple, and in the “Device Model Number” text box, type the model number of your Apple TV.
- You will be prompted to choose your Apple TV generation.
The next step is to create an activity that allows you to manage your TV with commands:
- Select the “Activities” tab from the menu on the left side of the screen, then click the “Add Activity” button.
- Click “Next” after selecting the “Watch Apple TV” activity type.
- To finish setting up the Activity, you’ll be given a series of instructions to follow.
- After you’ve made your modifications, sync your remote.
You can now connect your remote to Alexa and use voice commands to operate your Apple TV through Activities.
Using a Hub-Based remote
To connect your Harmony remote to your Apple TV via the hub, follow the steps listed below:
- Install and launch the Harmony app on your mobile device.
- Choose “Harmony Setup” from the drop-down menu after selecting the “Menu” icon in the upper left.
- Select “Add/Edit Devices” from the drop-down menu.
- After selecting “Devices,” go to the bottom of the screen and click “Add device.”
- When you choose “Scan for Wi-Fi Devices,” Harmony will look for your Apple TV. Make sure your TV is connected to your home’s Wi-Fi.
- You’ll see a window inviting you to create an Activity.
- To create a “Watch Apple TV” Activity, select “Yes” and follow the steps.
Setting up Alexa commands
Now that Alexa is connected to your Apple TV, you’ll need to set up voice commands in the Alexa app so you can operate your smart devices with ease. Set up Alexa commands with the following steps:
- On your mobile device, open the Alexa app and select the drop-down menu in the top left corner of the Home screen.
- To add a new Routine, enter the Routines menu by selecting “Routines” and clicking the “+” button on the top right.
- Next to the “When this happens” section of the menu, select the “+” option.
- Select “Voice,” which will prompt you to input the trigger phrase to begin the program.
- Enter your favorite phrase, but don’t forget to leave off the period or any other punctuation.
- You may now add an action to occur after the trigger phrase.
- In the “Add action” area of the menu, click the “+” button and select “Smart Home.”
- Scroll down until you find your Harmony device under “Control device.”
- You may build up a routine for the Apple TV activities you wish to regulate by scrolling through the control choices.
Check out the Amazon Alexa features page for additional information on setting up routines and other commands on your Alexa.
Why isn’t Alexa connecting?
If you’re having problems connecting, it’s most likely due to a problem with your Wi-Fi. Restarting your device is the most straightforward approach to resolving a Wi-Fi connectivity issue.
Remove the back of the device’s power adapter and wait a few seconds before plugging it back in. Your device should instantly connect.
If you’re still experiencing problems, try forcing your device to forget about your Wi-Fi network and resetting it. To do this, follow the steps listed below:
- Select “Account” then “Settings” on the Amazon website.
- Scroll down until you find “Your Content and Devices” and choose it.
- Select “Settings” on the right side of the “Manage your Content and Devices” page.
- To discover your network, look under the “Saved Wi-Fi Passwords” section.
- Choose “Delete.”
- You may now access your wireless network. If your connection is still not working, restart your router.
Unless you’re ready to give up some control, there’s no direct method to link your Alexa to your Apple TV.
In most situations, you’ll need a third device to connect to your TV and set up commands that you can subsequently execute with your Alexa voice commands.
While it is not an obvious procedure, controlling your smart devices becomes a lot easier once you have everything set up. Investing in third-party devices that bridge your Apple products with Alexa is worth the hassle.
Alexa can control tons of different devices and connects with so many brands. Nevertheless, Apple does not. So invest wisely and go for gadgets that allow you to have more freedom in what you can control.