This article is a review of the Netgear Prosafe GS108PE 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 4 PoE ports for IP cameras application.
This small switch is part of the Netgear business line product target to the small office's applications that don't require advanced network features.
I purchased this switch to use with my IP cameras because it can power them up and also connect to my Network Video Recorder (NVR).
The Netgear products
Netgear products are well-known for their excellent quality at a lower price tag. People usually trust this brand because they don't get disappointed after buying a router or switch for DIY installation and set up.
And that's precisely the way I felt when I got this Prosafe GS108PE switch.
The Netgear switch has 8 standard Ethernet ports to connect to network devices, 4 are PoE ports, and the others are not. A pretty interesting combination.
At first, the product is designed for overall use with a regular computer network to interconnect devices such as computers, printers, servers, access points, and IP phones, as shown in the following diagram. But it also works well for surveillance cameras because it can prioritize voice and video.
You can use this device to plug and play the IP cameras using network cables and set up your surveillance system without even login into the switch or use the web interface to manage its advanced features.
What's in the box
The GS108PE packaging brings the following:
- 8-Port Gigabit Switch with 4 PoE ports
- Power Adapter
- Power Cord
- Installation Guide
- Read Me First instructions
- Wall-mount screws
The switch is so compact that it fits in my hand.
It's not much bigger than a Galaxy S8 smartphone.
The Netgear GS108PE has RJ-45 connectors for the 10Base-T, 10BaseTX, or 1000Base-T standard, which allows the use of up to 1000Mbps per port.
It's rated for cat5E or higher UTP cables and can power up to 4 PoE devices with 15.4W per individual port according to the 802.3af standard.
This product can power most IP cameras that don't use powerful infrared LEDs or internal engines to move the cameras lens (PTZ cameras).
The picture shows the switch connected to a Samsung box camera that requires a maximum of 11W to operate at a maximum distance of 100m.
A Netgear 2ABF060R 48V power supply power the switch with up to 1.25A. The voltage input works automatically with 100~240V at 50/60Hz.
A standard 3-pin power cord connects the power supply to the outlet.
See the table below for the detailed specification.
10 Gbps Port
Total PoE Power budget (Watts)
Max MAC entries
VLAN (Number Supported)
Number of LAGs & number of members
Supported Mulitcast groups
Max number of source ports allowed (many to 1)
Max consumption (Watts)
Acoustic Noise Level @25C (dBA)
0° to 50° C
Dimensions (WxDxH) mm
Electromagnetic Compliance (A or B)
Features and protocols
- Auto Negotiation of speed and duplex modes
- 802.3x Flow Control
- DHCP Client
- Dynamic MAC address management
- IEEE 802.1Q-based or port-based VLAN
- QoS based on WRR, strict priority, or both
- Port-based and IEEE 802.1p-based QoS
- QoS based on ToS (Type-of-Service)
- DSCP Support (GS105E and GS105PE only)
- Rate Limiting
- Link Aggregation / Port Trunking (Static LAGs on 16 ports and 24 ports, Static LAGs and LACP on 48 ports)
- IGMP snooping, v1, v2 and v3
- Blocking of unknown multicast traffic
- Act as static multicast router port
Reliability, Performance and Troubleshooting
- Port mirroring both on ingress and egress traffic
- Jumbo frame support
- Broadcast Storm control
- Cable diagnostics
- Loop Detection
- DoS Prevention
- Energy Efficient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az) compliant (Selected models)
- Power savings with short cable detection and auto power-down when ports are in idle mode
- Switch discovery on MAC or PC using the NETGEAR Switch Discovery Tool
- Advanced configuration and management using web browser-based GUI
- Manage or deploy multiple switches using ProSAFE Plus Utility (requires Windows PC)
- Firmware upgrade thru ProSAFE Plus Utility (TFTP) or web browser-based GUI
- Configuration upload (to Server)
- System password protection
- Multi-language support (varies by model, see datasheet for specifics)
Where to buy
The Netgear Prosafe GS108PE is available on the Amazon Store.
I hope this Netgear Prosafe GS108pe review can help you understand the advantages and disadvantages of the product and make a better buying decision.
Please share this article with your friends.
This article contains affiliate links from Amazon and I receive a small comission when people buy the product using them. The price remains the same and the money goes towards the costs of hosting and this blog.